Author Janine Warner
"Janine has that rare capacity to capture the hearts and minds of an audience filled with techies, sales folks and all the people in between.
Within minutes they are on the edge of their seats, captivated by a common vision of how they can work better together."
-- Kare Anderson, SayItBetter.com
"You're so clear and reassuring in your training, and you explain things so well. Thanks to you, I've designed five websites now and launched a new career."
-- Carol, Ann Arbor, MI
Connect with Janine on
About Janine Warner
Hi, I’m Janine Warner, and as you might have guessed, my life revolves around the internet – teaching it, designing it, and always learning from it.
Because not everything you read on the Internet is reliable, you can expect that at least two of the facts in the following list are completely made-up. (If you're looking for a more formal bio, follow this link...)
1. I'm a journalist turned geek. Sometimes I call myself a ‘techy translator’ or a ‘digital alchemist’ -- my favorite made-up titles so far.
2. I started out as a reporter and editor and got hooked on the Internet early. Since 1996, I've written 25 books about the Internet, including Web Sites For Dummies, Dreamweaver For Dummies (every edition), Mobile Web Design For Dummies, and iPhone & iPad Web Design for Dummies. (I have callouses on my finger tips to prove this one.)
3. I was bitten by a computer bug in 1994, which led to my addiction to the Internet and my ability to fly through virtual realms... (Okay, this one may not be from a reliable source.)
4. I’m fascinated by how our online identities are becoming as crucial to our success as our 'real lives,' and how the Internet has forever changed the way we meet and connect with each other.
5. Today I spend most of my time:
Running a full-service digital design agency that offers web and mobile design, content strategy, and internet marketing. (Learn more at DigitalFamily.com.)
Writing books, creating training videos. and teaching web design, content strategy, and Internet marketing (Order books & videos at DigitalFamily.com)
Speaking at conferences and events about Internet trends, such as the growing importance of social media and online reputation. (Learn more about Janine's speaking topics.)
6. As a child, I trained my pet Siberian Snow Tiger to ski the steepest slope in the Alps. Despite reaching speeds of 80 miles per hour on the treacherous course, the Olympic Committee refused to admit him. (Sadly, this point is very, very true.)
7. Unlike my Snow Tiger, I've never been to Siberia, but over the years, I've worked with one of Russia’s largest publishing companies in Moscow; traveled to New Delhi to speak at Internet World India; and worked with journalists and publishers in Colombia, Chile, Brazil, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua El Salvador, Mexico, and Spain.
8. In 1998, I was hired by The Miami Herald as their online managing editor and a year later was promoted to Director of New Media. I left that position to run CNET’s Latin American operations where I managed content development in Spanish and Portuguese.
9. I’ve taught courses in online journalism at the University of Southern California and the University of Miami, and I've been a guest lecturer at more than 20 other universities in the U.S. and Latin America. I also helped create an Internet Literacy program for high school students in Central America.
10. I am a member of the TV Academy's Interactive Media Peer Group and I've served as a judge for a number of contests, including the Interactive Emmy Awards, The Knight News Challenge, and the Arroba de Oro in Latin America.
11. Bonus point: I live and work with my husband, David LaFontaine, in Southern California.
Learn more info about Janine Warner:
- Check out Janine's most popular speaking topics and watch video of her in action in the speaking section.
- You'll find a more formal biography of Janine here.
- Order Janine's books and videos at DigitalFamily.com
- Download high resolution photos of Janine for articles, event programs, and print materials.
- Contact Janine
Janine runs several web sites, including:
- DigitalFamily.com: A Web design and training site that features free tutorials, videos, books, and other resources about Web design.
- JCWarner.com: You're here now, on my personal profile site.
- ChocolateGameRules.com: I believe a little humor can really help when it comes to learning about technology. The Chocolate Game Rules site is just one of many sites I've created to use as examples in my books and training videos. If you haven't played the chocolate game yet -- it's yummy!